Questions about versions

Hi, I’ve a consul democracy of a client working in a version of the year 2019.

The problem is that I only have the production version, but not the development, so I’ve a question. Could I install a developer version in its last version and make deployments to production?

Or maybe I should install a development consul version with the same version than in production?

I think that update to the latest version from a version such old may be a problem.

Thanks.

Hi, @juan :smile:.

Have your clients done any custom modifications to the source code? If not, you can check the code in app/controllers/installation_controller.rb; the method consul_installation_details shows which version of Consul Democracy the application is using, so you can clone our main repository and use a branch based on that version for development.

If there have been custom changes, Consul Democracy is licensed under the AGPL, so if the application is publicly available, the source code must be available too :thinking:. In this case, clone the repository from wherever it’s published.

The workflow is the same in both cases: you develop on your local machine, upload the changes to a publicly available repository, and with a tool like Capistrano you deploy whatever is in the repository to the production server.

Hope that helps!

Forgot to say: in both cases, we recommend upgrading Consul Democracy one version at a time, since some versions introduce maintenance tasks that must be executed before upgrading to a later version. Check the release notes for each version for instructions on how to upgrade.

@javi

Thanks for your help. I have things clearer now.